Monday, January 5, 2015

A new year begins...

... and not much significant to report...

We had a relatively quiet Christmas in that we decided not to make the trip back across the country to my parents and sibs. We haven't accumulated enough airmiles at this point, and we were looking at somewhere around $900/person, or $700/person followed by a 4 hour drive... In the past it's been a difficult decision to stay put, but this year it just seemed right.

We've spent Christmas just the three of us before, and while it is quiet, it's nice not to think about travelling on someone else's schedule when it means being on the move for anywhere from 8-14 hours. The nice thing about living here is that we have family a mere two hours away, instead of 14. So what did we decide to do in the end? Saw as many people as possible and moved as little as we could :)

Santa found us here in our tiny house, and we had a wonderful Christmas morning Skype with my fam back east. We were happy because we had Christmas in our own space, and they were happy because a) they got to see their #1 grandson open presents and 2) with the two hour time difference, they didn't have to wake up at zero dark thirty with the excited child, but had time to get some coffee ahead of time :)

Once we went through all the bounty (and a very large number of Terry's Chocolate Oranges), we packed up our little car (did I mention we bought a car?) and drove exactly two hours and 11 minutes to my aunt's house. My cousins are there, one of whom was just posted back with her husband after military service a few provinces away, and hosted Christmas Day dinner at her home. So, after some quiet, and then some quality skype time with my parents, we got to have the full-house full of laughter and kids and fun :) We spent four days there, just long enough to get comfy, have some fun, do some shopping, and then came back home and had most of the week to get ready to go back to school.

I'm not officially working yet, but there's some talk about being able to pick up a little time; I'm hoping to hear by the end of the week. N. is back at school today, and is *that* excited that he barely slept last night. I de-holiday-ed the house last week, so that much at least is done, and I'm trying to get a handle on everything else so we start the new year off right. Cleaning, organizing, purging, dealing with small, manageable areas. I have yet to tackle my yarn and craft supplies in any real, meaningful way, but that's going to take at least another solid week. If I get back to work, it'll have to wait til spring break, methinks.

I'm not one for resolutions lately, but I'm hoping to keep busy, focused, and calm, and that this semester is as busy and productive as last :)

No comments: