Thursday, July 24, 2014

Breathe.

I am now halfway across the country, surrounded by boxes. No, wait; that's not true. My kitchen is 90% unpacked, so I'm not completely surrounded.

What an interesting experience, putting your things on a truck and hoping for the best. If I'm being honest, I can't say that everything made it - the manifest turned up two missing numbers (the items were all coded as they were put on the truck), but six extra boxes with no labels showed up, so either everything is here and four boxes didn't end up getting labelled before being loaded on the truck, or something has gone the way of the dodo.

Either way, I can sleep on my bed, shower in my clean and bright bathroom, cook in my kitchen, and watch TV when I have a little bit of time.

I'm finding myself needing to purge a lot of stuff, and it's not something I'm used to. In the past I had an unreasonable attachment to objects, and it turns out that I have more objects than can fit in our little two bedroom, main-floor-of-a-bungalow. I've already thrown out things that were broken or at the end of their useful lifespan, old ratty blankets that had no hope of rescue, dish towels that I loved but were turning into rags, plasticware from Ikea that looked to be about a million years old... and I've two large bins of things that are destined for either Kijiji or Salvation Army. I'm still not done, though; the crafting supplies are going to require a week of sorting and organizing on their own.

But this too shall pass... we're all happy and healthy (with the exception of some pretty nasty pterodactyl-sized-mosquito bites that are pretty angry), and we're TOGETHER.

The rest will fall into place.

No comments: