Thursday, November 1, 2012

NaBloPoMo?

A little post-hurricane push back into blogging, methinks.  I'd been debating this, and I found a list of topic prompts here, so I figure, why not give it a try.

Today's prompt is:
Thursday, November 1, 2012
Tell us your favourite quotation and why.

So, I will have at it.  My favourite quotation lately has been one from one of my favourite authors:
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." ~ Isaac Asimov

This quote is sourced many years ago, but it's just as, if not more, relevant today.  As a scientist, I find myself railing against public opinion... which can sometimes be well informed, but sometimes one single erroneous position can cause rampant misinformation.  Not to open a can of worms, but the causes of autism, whether to get your flu shot, the actual existence of global warming... to name a few.  One thing that people don't often think of is that doing research isn't often clear-cut.  And if you don't know how to do research, chances are you'll get the wrong answer.

I'm not looking for a fight... I'm just hoping people will learn to discern between credible sources and quacks, between sensationalized news and facts.  I'd be remiss in my job if I didn't encourage it :-)

And with that, I'm off to bake cinnamon rolls for the teachers at N.'s school... it's my turn to provide breakfast for the monthly staff meeting, and I personally would rather fresh baked cinnamon rolls than bagels and flatbread from the donut shop ;-)

No comments: