Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Three weeks? Is that even possible?

Here I go again, with the radio silence... I always tell myself that I won't let this much time go by between posts, and *blink blink* it's gone.  I remember that I feel better when I write (even if I don't hit publish) and then I forget again.

Life's been getting in the way, some good and some bad.  We had a wonderful weekend in NH for Hubby's cousin's little girl's birthday (how's that for nested possessives?)... I baked the birthday cake upon request, and will find the photos for FO Friday.  I've had several shopping-type trips with some generous car-owning friends (former labmates and/or their spouses), and did pick up some crafter cotton for dishcloths and flannel for kids projects at a really good sale.  But I've been almost completely unproductive crafty-wise... a bunch of false starts, none photographed, all sitting around.  The lab is in a bit of upheaval - a couple of new (amazing!) grad students, but one of the girls that graduated had her last day yesterday.  She's lived half a block away from us for four years, and is a newbie knitter but longtime enthusiast.  We ride the bus together (or at least, we did), and she's one of the first people that I was able to call my friend down here.  She's the second good friend to move away this summer (boo), another one will be heading out at the end of this month, and I realized that it's no easier to have your friends move away when you're 34 than when you're 15.  I just don't have the luxury of putting Boyz-II-Men on my Walkman and wallowing for weeks.

I also can't wallow, because I know it's not the end of the world, and worse things could happen.  My uncle, who has been fighting for his life by inches for the last few years, finally lost his battle.  I hesitate to write about this, because my mom's family is notoriously private, but I feel like I want to honour him and what he did.  My aunt and uncle, living across the country from our side of the family, adopted two children, one nearly 20 years ago, one 15 years ago.  These children both had rough starts to life, including being born drug addicted.  F. & J. took them in, knowing what it meant in terms of struggle, and while life wasn't (and isn't) easy for them, these kids now know what it means to be loved by a forever mom and dad.

Mom on the left, F., and a family friend A. on the right.

F. at high school graduation


No comments: