Tuesday, February 14, 2012

hello world, how've things been?

I'm determined to get my head out of my arse and keep things moving forward, so here I am. I'm thinking next month I might do an enforced personal NaBloPoMo, but we'll see.

Today, though, I'm spending the morning editing job applications for Hubby (ack!) and doing daycare PTA events... I'm thinking wrestling with 100 kids from 0-5 will be a little less stressful :)

The job thing has been a long time coming, since one can't be a postdoc forever, and it's exciting, but Hubby is freaking the frack out. Which is understandable. Teaching statements, research statements, and we'll probably have to tailor them to all the different unis that he's going to apply to. But his stuff is good, and solid. And as much as I'm not ready to leave here, I am ready for the next step. I'd like to have a car before I'm 40. And maybe a mortgage payment instead of rent. I'm scared, but excited.

I've also been knitting - my WIP Wednesday project is probably about 75% done, but being a triangular type of thing, progress is difficult to figure out. But I love it, and I've done more knitting in the past two weeks than I have in about three months.

I've also fallen for the hype, and I started reading the Hunger Games in anticipation of the movie next month. I hate to be a bandwagon-jumper, but along with knitting, a sick toddler, pinkeye back in the house (don't ask), I've managed to blow through the first two books and am halfway into the third. In less than two weeks. For some reason, dystopian lit has always captured my attention (I've read The Handmaid's Tale countless times), and these books are compelling. In the hands of my imagination (at least) I can see how they'd translate to screen quite well. I'd love to see them (and the movie(s) for that matter) eclipse Twilight... oh, no pun intended :P. I'll see, though; I'm reserving final judgement for when I see how it ends.

And with that, I'll sign off for now, and promise to be back soon. Spring is coming, the days are longer, and I can feel my energy coming back, so it shouldn't be too hard :)

No comments: