Wednesday, July 6, 2011

hmmm...

After all that jabbering about yardage with my Shawl of Questionable Size (SoQS), I googled 'triangular shawl calculator' (or something similar) on Hubby's laptop, and found some number-crunching doo-hickeys that aim to tell you, based on the total number of rows your shawl has, how far along you are. I did several sets based on 14, 15, 16, and 17 total repeats, plus edging, and came to the conclusion that with my gauge, I can get at LEAST 17 repeats in before doing the edging, and could theoretically squeak 18 (because my halfway-through-the-yarn point was over-halfway-through-the-knitting point; 51.3% to be exact). Math doesn't lie, right?

I don't believe it for a second.

So, I'm going to put a lifeline in after 15 reps (already did at 14), and re-weigh my remaining yarn and do the numbers again. Would it be fantastic to get 17 reps? sure. Do I think I will? Meh. I just want the SoQS to be as big as possible, and for it to be as finished as possible. Like, yesterday.

In other news, I broke down and got some real wool felt, after playing around with synthetic for a while making things for my niece. Holy natural fibers, Batman, it is SO FREAKIN SOFT. While I'm a fan of eco-recycled-felt that makes use of my old soda bottles, the wool is so nice to the touch. I'm thinking of saving my pennies and ordering a little more some time in the future.

And that's all the news that's fit to report for today... we'll see what tomorrow brings. I'm going to get ready for dinner now and debate whether to knit a bit on the SoQS, do some felt work, or just buckle down and get dinner ready :-P

No comments: