Friday, November 20, 2009

Respect the bird

I've come to agree with Bezzie - when in Rome and all that jazz - so I'm going to respect the dead bird and wait til next weekend to do the decorating... You Amurricans love your turkey day... Which means only laundry and vacuuming for entertainment today, at least for a little while longer.

That being said, it was a fabulous morning, that came about because of a bunch of coincidences yesterday.

I went to pick N. up at daycare, and saw a flyer on the daycare bulletin board for a new yarn store in our neighborhood... there aren't ever interesting flyers on that bulletin board, so I was intrigued. I was confused, though, because the new store is barely half a block away (and across the street) from the old one.

I then ran into one of Hubby's labmates, who happens to knit occasionally but has many knitting friends, and before I got the chance to ask her about the store, she invited me to their newly formed knitting group :-) I couldn't go last night because of the last-minute-ness, but I really hope they'll have it again... I guess everyone else pretty much ended up having to study last night anyway, but I'm hopeful.

So, I decided on the way out to ask her about this new yarn store. I'm pretty sure she hadn't been there, but had heard good things. Combine that with my day off today, and I had a little excursion after dropping N. at daycare. And, I discovered that I LOVE this new store. LOVE.

I feel guilty about it, but only a little. The old store is tiny, and their organizational scheme sucks - most of the stuff is by color, with lots of yarns mixed together in cubbies. Noro has its own shelves, but they're scattered, and the sock yarn and baby yarn is thrown in a corner. They don't put pricetags on ANYTHING, and it's so difficult to just browse and get ideas because you can fall in love with something not knowing it's $20 for 185 yards of fingering. They also mainly carry stock that's high-mid range to high range. No super luxury to dream about, very little laceweight, and no practical (gasp) acrylic blends for servicable baby/kid clothes. It got to the point that I was doing most of my shopping online or at my mom's on vacation.

The new store is slightly bigger, organized by BRAND, then color, and they cover the gamut - pretty-yet-super-washable acrylic blends all the way up to cashmere and silk laceweight yarns with pricetags to match (o.u.c.h.). Everything is clearly labelled, and they also carry a huge amount of giftware and notions. The old store had no split ring stitch markers, or coiless safety-pin type markers (and the girl I asked had no idea what I was talking about when I asked her). The new store has tonnes. Not to mention custom-painted mugs, little project kits, and bags galore.

They're also going to start carrying roving and maybe do some spinning classes. It's not like I need a new hobby, but I would love to learn how to use a drop spindle, you know, just in case an occasion called for it.

I understand there's always room for competition; for people who have cars there are lots of choices in our area. For me, though, I needed to have this option; the old store was the only place I could walk to. I really hope the new store does well, though, and I'll support them as much as I can. Today I couldn't choose any yarn even after a half hour of squishing skeins (for example, they have Artyarns, Madelinetosh, Mission Falls, and lots of other yummy things, but I was overwhelmed). Instead I bought their only copy of Vintage Baby Knits, because I loved knitting the Stella Pixie hat, and I couldn't resist.

(aside: there ain't no babies up in heah, but I'm getting the baby itch again... so I figured after Christmas I could start knitting before starting any babies, and get ahead of the game this time).

And then I came home to do laundry and laundry and laundry, and then vacuum and sweep and get the dishes done. But, no complaints from me; I have a new pattern book to skim with my apres-lunch coffee ;-)

1 comment:

Bezzie said...

Oh man, I'm all about a yarn store that has a smidge of spinning fiber!