Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The last few minutes before lunch...

I'm such a bad scientist today. Lunch is in about 20 minutes, and since I haven't really got time to start anything big, I'm just going to blog instead...

I think my motivation is still on vacation.

So. Yes. Vacation. I suppose the best place to start is the beginning... I managed to get everything packed on time, and most of the laundry was done and put away before we left. A coup in my sad little life, I must say.

We woke up at 5am on Friday morning, and packed up the car while N. slept. The plan was to wake him up, change him into a dry nappie, and strap him in the car. Snacking in the car buys us happy time, so breakfast was on-the-go. We hit the asphalt at 6:15AM, only a few minutes later than planned.

I didn't start working on the Aeolian until I'd had at least two coffees and some breakfast of my own, because I needed to be alert, and sitting in the front seat while Hubby entertained the kiddo in the back. Once the conditions were met, I set things up. The chart (which I haven't memorized yet, even though it's pretty simple) ended up being taped to the visor pretty thoroughly since the windows were down. The humidex was hovering around 110F (44C), so there wasn't even a thought of keeping any of them up.

As we drove, the working yarn fluttered away to my left, and it wasn't too bad to handle all in all until I had to shift stitch markers. Juggling them without dropping any wasn't the easiest, but I managed.

Until I discovered an extra stitch. One that originated four or five rows down. Dammit. I had no idea how to fix it, so I bundled the thing back up and put it away.

After 10 hours of driving (and 2.5 hours in rest stops for the deliciousness that is the verboten Whopper), we showed up across the border to a motel for the night. N. wasn't too keen on sleeping in his playpen, so I couldn't sit and concentrate on it to figure out what was going on.

(And, incidently, about the whoppers - although I've definitely had my fill for the next year at least, I have to say how much I love the service plazas all along the I-95. I never get fast food, and the first couple of stops were seriously yummy. The last few were just too much, though, and we switched to healthy stuff).

So, Saturday morning we got up and piled in the car again for the second leg of our trip. I waited until properly caffeinated, and tried to look at that damn extra stitch. I spent 20 minutes staring at it, front and back, trying to figure out what the hell had gone wrong. No dice. Away it goes again.

We drove for 6 hours, and ended up in our old city to visit my best friend and her new baby (yay!) and meet up with my brother and sister-in-law to finally meet my 6-month-old niece in person (double YAY!). We had a great lunch, the baby cousins interacted in an explosion of cuteness, and then we were off for the last 5 hours of driving to my parents' place.

I tried looking at Aeolian again. And almost started crying. I *did* have a lifeline in place, but the thought of ripping out five rows and trying to re-thread the darn thing on the needles was so upsetting. I gave up, put it away and took out my crazy novel that I've been chipping away at and read until the sun went down.

We arrived at Mom & Dad's at around 9pm, and after some much-anticipated Grammie hugs for N., we put him to bed so I could show Mom the shawl and ask for advice. She took one look at the cobweb silk and told me I was nuts.

So, I did what I always do in situations like this.

I ignored it and went to bed ;-)

1 comment:

Bezzie said...

Hee hee! Yeah road-trip greasy food is always fun, until you find yourself craving veggies! Ha ha!

Sounds like a fun trip was had by all!