Wednesday, August 12, 2009

This post brought to you by micro and molecular biology.

I'm leaving for vacation on Friday, and as a result I haven't the time to start more experiments. Because I'm not piggybacking procedures, I have downtime. Cultures gotta grow, gels gotta run, and that means I have to wait for them.

So, I get to be rambly again.

I totally don't know if I mentioned our chosen mode of transport for the vacay, but it's a car. Dammit. I'm not happy with the flight options from here to get home, and I'd rather have some control over the stopping and starting, so we're driving it over two days. My dad, being retired and also crazy, drove down on Sunday to stay for the week, and we'll all drive back up this weekend.

I was really afraid he'd scare N. (who reacts strongly to strangers), so over the past two or three weeks we would look at pictures of him with both of my parents. It seemed to work, because he only took about 20 minutes to be totally comfortable with his Papa. We've been having a good week so far, and it's kind of nice to have the extra hands... although it's not quite 'extra hands'. Papa does not do diapers, or soothing. He does horseplay (which is fun, and he's quite gentle), and he does mealtimes. It's SO nice to be able to sit with a cup of coffee in the mornings and not fend off flying cheerios. I'm hoping when we come back here after vacation, Papa will stay for a few extra days...

I still haven't started packing, of course, but this morning I did some planning and actually dug out the duffel bags. I need to do laundry before I pack anything, but that'll be tonight or tomorrow afternoon. I figure since I'm not stressed about it that it'll be fine; last time we packed for a trip I was organizing for three weeks leading up to it. I could screw it all up, and end up driving through northern Maine without enough diapers, but I like to live dangerously.

Instead of packing last night, because it was too late and I was tired, I decided to finish the set-up chart on the Aeolian (when it was late and I was tired, 'cause that makes sense). I'll try and remember to take a pic and post it tonight. I did NOT screw it up, and I stayed up that extra few minutes to thread a lifeline. I know Hubs thinks I'm nuts on the best of days, but I think seeing me wrestling with dental floss and pointy sticks might've convinced him I'm certifiable. I haven't decided how often I'll thread them; I know I should probably put one in after each repeat of the Yucca chart at the beginning, but I might thumb my nose at fate and do it every second Yucca.

As fiddly as silk laceweight can be (even though the Addi lace needles are supposed to be a bit grabbier, which they're so not), I do like the rhythm of knitting lace. I think it's something dorky about the YOs and decreases that's very meditative.

I'm going to be good and only take this one project with me. It's totally not getting finished on this trip, or even on the next trip, but I'm going to try and do my best.

(Until Mom and I go shopping for yarn next week, that is.)

1 comment:

Bezzie said...

HA ha, you remind me of Dr. MS...he'd always come home full of football news from surfing the internet at work. I'd ask him how he had all this time on his hands "Oh well I was waiting for the Bloopity Bloop to warm in a water bath" or "The Humdingers took a while to spin down..."