So, I decided to cast on for the Aeolian last night. I figured there was a chance that the crochet cast-on and first few rows might be a little fiddly, and thought it might be better to do when I'm relaxed, have good light, etc etc.
Might be a little fiddly. Jesus.
I could shoot myself. I rarely have to rip out and cast on again, and I had to do it a few times last night. I'm at row 11 of the setup chart now, though, after about 45 minutes of work. I don't have a photo, but it amounts to a tiny piece of knitting that's about 3/4" by 2". I feel like my gauge might be off, although I know it's not meant to be knit tightly. I'm probably going to leave out some repeats just to make sure, and I'll be doing a lifeline ASAP... bought some plain dental floss a half hour ago to take home for that exact purpose.
I also realized I don't have enough of the proper stitch markers, which could prove to be a problem. I have pretty freshwater pearl ones, but they're too damn heavy and tangly. I rounded up a few small plastic ones that fit up to US6 or so, which seem to be working, but once I have a few repeats down, I'll need about a dozen more. If I can get to Walmart or a craft store before we go, I should be OK. Otherwise, I'll just have to do a damn lot of counting.
I still love the yarn, and I did find that I was feeling the rhythm of knitting with the laceweight after getting used to it for a few rows. I'm really not sure how long this beast will take, but I'm hoping not too long.
Don't think it'll be a lunchtime project, though ;-)