Thursday, May 14, 2009

I neglected to mention...

.... that I also got my first offer of a commission the other day.

And it was for crochet!

I was working on the Boteh at lunch, and there's a nurse I see from time to time sitting one table away. Every time I see her, I'm working on something different, and she always asks about it.

This time, she complimented the scarf, and asked me a series of very pointed questions - how long will it take? What would that cost in the store? How much was the yarn? etc. etc. I could see where she was going, but said nothing, and eventually she said, "How much would you charge me for one of those?"

I waved my hand and gave a vague answer, but she insisted, "No, I'm being serious, how much? I'd give you tonnes of time."

The thought is tempting, considering I've seen dead simple garter scarves in novelty yarn sell in gift shops around here for $57. Trekking is retailing for ~$16.50, and I could easily charge $40, but I'm not sure that would cover it for me. I'm not trying to be greedy, and I don't think I'm that good, but everyone's time is valuable, not just mine. I knit to relax, as a hobby, and I don't have time to do unlimited projects, and I'm not sure I would want to do it for money.

My parents both have some experience in this area, so it's not foreign to me. My mom is a qualified seamstress, and did it full time for about six months when she was younger. She remembers the transition from hobby to job, and how her enjoyment faltered significantly. My dad does some really great woodworking, but again - on his own time as a hobby. He could make a lot of money at it, but he always told me he never would - it's no longer fun for him when he has a deadline or a specific order. He's like me - he picks projects that look interesting, rarely makes the same thing twice, and works at his own pace.

I told the woman in the cafeteria that I was very flattered, but that I didn't have time to get my own knitting done, let alone stuff for other people. She insisted she wouldn't pressure me, but I'm not sure that's possible when it becomes a business venture. I told her I would keep her in mind, but I don't think it'll happen right now, and I'm afraid she was insulted. I hope she didn't take it personally.

No comments: