Tuesday, May 19, 2009

An actual FO

... but it's crochet. You don't hate me, do you?




(too tired to caption. baby awake at 5am. need coffee.)

ETA: Stats for Ellie's Boteh
Ellie's Boteh (Ravelry link)
Pattern: Boteh Scarf by Kathy Merrick (Ravelry link)
Started: May 7, 2009
Finished: May 16, 2009
Yarn: Trekking XXL, Colorway 106 (pastels)
Hook: F
Gauge: ?
Modifications: none

So, this was terribly entertaining to make, but completely different than, say, knitting the central sections on the Shipwreck Shawl. Both were lots of fun, but one required lots of concentration and one required nothing but a chair for me to sit in.

It's like my TV watching habits, really: sometimes I like a super intense Law & Order episode, or even a really wacky Lost episode, where I have to pay attention and think about things if I want to figure it out (Shipwreck). And, sometimes I like a good episode of cheezy reality, like the Hills or some sort of Real Rock of Chance of Love in Charm School (since they're all interchangeable on VH1 these days), where I don't actually have to think much.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think crochet is any less intelligent, or any less difficult, than knitting. Right now, for me, it's actually more challenging to figure out the patterns. It's more that the Boteh pattern let me turn my brain off once I figured it out. A nice garter stitch scarf or a stretch of stockinette is the same.

I did immediately start a second Boteh, since I'd like to get a few of these made for my son's teachers, and they fit nicely in a small tote bag. I've gotten tired of dragging a huge 3'x1'x2' totebag around with me, and switched to a Vera Bradley tote (which was my Mother's Day gift, and I LOVE IT, btw), plus my very streamlined laptop case. Easier to carry two small bags plus the baby at the end of the day, instead of the huge tote that always fell over and dropped my stuff on the ground.

So, yay crochet. I won't be afraid of patterns that have crochet trim, or animals with crochet ears, although I'm not ready to take on any amigurumi or large afghans just yet.

1 comment:

Kaye said...

Ooo!!! I love it!!! So pretty!! Those colors look great as a Boteh!