Sunday, March 1, 2009

Baby Yours of mine

Finished, except for the buttons (these are stand-ins):



Baby Yours for a mystery baby (Ravelry link)
Pattern: Baby Yours, by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, from Blue Moon Fiber Arts
Started: January 20, 2009
Finished: February 28, 2009
Yarn: Dream in Color Smooshy, colorway Butter Peeps
Needles: US 6/4.25mm bamboo 16" circs
Gauge: ~6st/inch in double moss
Modifications: On purpose - yarn selection, obviously. Things that just happened - I think I did my RT columns incorrectly, but they look OK; I wasn't going to rip it out because of that.

Thoughts:

The pattern is lovely, and was really fun to knit. I've been OK with cables before now, but this sweater really helped me with chart reading and complex cabling. I'll never be afraid of cables again. Next time, I might cast on fewer stitches for the front left and back panels, though; the M1's that were used to add enough width to compensate for the cable panel weren't quite enough to prevent it from pulling in.

The DiC is also really amazing; the color is so cute and fun and yummy. I'm not sure it's entirely suited for this pattern. It's finer than the STR Mediumweight that it calls for, and the resulting fabric is a bit flimsy.

I'm also wondering what it would be like if I replaced the double moss with stockinette, at least on the sleeves. I think the moss will be crisper in STR, so the next one I do will likely be in that yarn instead.

Bottom line - I'll be making this again. And hopefully again and again. This one will either go into my cedar chest for any future daughters I may be blessed with, or else I'll give it to Niece v1.0. It does deserve to be worn.

(After I get decent buttons, that is.)

No comments: