Saturday, January 31, 2009

Allow me a moment, won't you?

I simply must go on and on about this sweater, and this yarn.

A beautiful sweater on a skanky windowsill... get some better backdrops, will ya?


Well, maybe not ON and on, but you know what I mean.

This stuff is yummy. I mean, Yumm. O. Seriously.

I've been checking it out online for a while, and there seem to be plenty of photos of a lot of their colorways to compare. Some shots are better than others, and the better ones are just gorgeous. In some lights this stuff almost glitters. I didn't fool myself into thinking that it was going to be quite that nice in person, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I picked the yellow to start with, partially because of its name ("Butter Peeps"), and partially because of its somewhat gender-neutral color. This sweater may go to a baby that's due to arrive in July, but it all depends on whether the mama decides to find out the gender, and if she tells me. I just couldn't resist the color, though.

The main base color is yellow, from what I can tell, but the color magic only begins there. It has patches of pink, peach, and some imperceptably green and purple spots that can even tend towards being a muddy light grey color. If you think about all the ingredients, you might be afraid that it'd be ugly, but it works so well. It's like the yarn is quiet and shy and is blushing from all the attention.

I'm loving the pattern, too; it's making for some great lunchtime knitting. This was the progress as of this morning:

Love. L. O. V. E. Seriously.

It's unblocked, of course, and slightly wonky, but this is the cabliest that I've ever gotten, and I have to say that I'm pretty darn proud of myself.

Although, truth be told, I shouldn't be so egotistical. I've determined that cabling is actually not that hard once you understand what's going on, and once you can go at it without fiddling with a cable needle, it's not that much slower than the check panels on the sides. I really find myself becoming a bit of a knitting missionary, and I have a feeling that this one is going to be a testimony. The mama-to-be is the same one who expressed an interest in learning how to knit, and got some Cascade 220 and needles from me for Christmas... we'll see how much these baby sweaters do to nudge her in the right direction.

(assuming, of course, that I can get the sweaters to her way before baby is born; she sure as hell won't have time to learn to knit after the birth for a loooong time!)

No comments: