Thursday, July 19, 2007

Patience is a virtue...

... and if you're still reading (and you like photos), you are very virtuous indeed.

I tried out my laptop again last night, since I wasn't sure quite how bad it had gotten. I figure, I can either not use it at all, or use it once in a while, between now and when it gets fixed/trashed. It behaved for about 3 hours, then when I installed a replacement program for the one I think is the problem, it crashed again. It doesn't like installing, it seems.

So, no pictures. I figure I'll take a whole whack at once, upload them temporarily to the work computer, burn 'em to disk, and use them that way.

I'm six ridges away from being done the BSJ, and it's amazing. I love it. I also might even have enough yarn from the skein (plus the leftovers from its mate) to make a little hat or mittens, but I'm not going to bet the farm just yet. There are only three decisions left: three vs five buttonholes; whether to do a crochet edging to finish the neck; and what kind of buttons.

I'm leaning on two of the choices - I like the idea of five buttonholes, since I can always leave the bottom two open, and I like the finished edge. These choices are somewhat reversible - I can always just close over the bottom two buttonholes, and I can always pull off the edging if I don't like it.

The third decision - the buttons - is tougher. I don't have easy access to a shop where I can find buttons, and I don't travel until August (more on that later). I'm debating sending a full color repeat of the yarn to my mom, and see what she can find, but she has no idea I'm even working on this particular project. It might be fun to see what she comes up with. I also don't have an intended recipient for this, and therefore the buttons need to be unisex.

So, very roughly switching gears, I'll explain my upcoming travels. You may want to draw a diagram - it's pretty confusing ;-)

My family is now pretty much spread out in three locations. If you can imagine an equilateral triangle, Hubby and I are in the bottom left corner (we'll call that "Point A", Little Bro is at the tippy-top ("Point B"), and Mom, Dad, Grammie, Big Bro, and future Sister-In-Law are all in the bottom right corner (more or less - "Point C").

The really frustrating part is that there are no direct flights from Point A (here) to Point C (home). AND, it costs the same for me to take a return flight from A to B (non-stop) as it does for me to take a return flight from A to C (one stop); that usually runs at least $500 a person, so it will cost $1000 for Hubby and I to get home for Big Bro's wedding at the end of the summer.

But, there's a tiny spot of light. There's one particular Canadian airline that has really good fares, and is quite established, and flies from Point B to Point C for <$200. Little Bro uses them all the time to fly home. So, since I was going to end up spending $1000 anyway, I decided to book me a little side trip to see Little Bro, and it's only adding on $194 to our total trip costs.

I fly to see Little Bro for a week and check out how the other half lives, then we fly to our parent's place together, and meet Hubby there. After the wedding, Hubby and I will fly back down here together, and all is well.

I'm actually very excited to go and see Little Bro in action. He truly seems to have found his calling, and is showing his dedication in his work placement terms. People just love him. We also love going to movies together, and I've missed that part of our sibling-friendship since we've moved, so that's part of my vacation plan.

(And, I'll be visiting a little yarn store that some of you may know about. Little Bro knows this, and has accepted the fact that I'll be ditching him for at least one day.)

OK. Time to check on my experiment; it's a day-long one, but I'm somewhere in the middle of a three-hour incubation and I don't want to miss my timepoint.

Ciao!

No comments: