Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Oh. Dear.

Finally got email from the boss this morning. After three and a half weeks, he's read the draft I gave him. I barely remember how bad it was, so it should be interesting to see what sorts of comments are there.

And, yes, I'm freaking out.

I've forwarded the email to Hubby for some reassurance, and I'm trying to just chug along today as if nothing happened. One of the comments in the email mentioned how Chapter 3 seemed to be just preliminary text. It was, when I gave it to him over three weeks ago (grr), and I'm hoping I've fixed that.

He also called my writing discursive. Is it a bad sign that I had to look that up?

discursive \dis-KUR-siv\, adjective:
  1. Passing from one topic to another; ranging over a wide field; digressive; rambling.
  2. Utilizing, marked by, or based on analytical reasoning -- contrasted with intuitive.

I'm going to assume he meant the second definition, and correct for the first one on my own.


*Sigh*. I had such a good day yesterday; I finished compiling the data for several figures, by doing complicated things with very silly little Mac-only computer programs, and I felt productive.

Then, for no apparent reason, I picked a fight with Hubby over the phone at about 11PM. It was silly, I was complaining about stupid things, things he'd said that I'd misinterpreted and things he hadn't even done, and all the while there was a tiny voice in the back of my head saying, "You're just trying to push him to be mad at you. Why?"

We're OK now; I kept him on the phone until I could apologize and mean it. I just figure I had a premonition about today and wanted to get my anxiety out beforehand.


Maybe I'm being punished for spending so much time with yarn yesterday ;-) and it's not over yet, since I still need to show off Mom's STR in Rolling Stone (that second link may not work after a while - the colorway is available at the moment, but I'll remove it if necessary):

A pretty little center-pull ball, wound up on New Years Day. I forgot to take a pic of the skein :-(

It's a really strong combination of purple, navy, green, wine, and a little brown thrown in for warmth and character. I do love it as much as my others, but Mom chose this one for herself.

And so the story goes ;-)

I sent my brother on a wild yarn chase before Christmas, under the direction that he could kill several birds with one stone, and get lots of gifts for lots of people with one stop. STR is sold about 8 blocks from his apartment, and that means no shipping charges like if I'd ordered from the website. He'd already agreed to buy me one skein of STR for my gift, and a second one for Big Bro to give to me (two brothers, both willing to give me yarn for Christmas; they're the best brothers ever).

So, that was two skeins.

I suggested to him that he could buy one for Mom, since she's getting back into knitting because of me, and she'd probably really appreciate it. Besides, she doesn't order off the internet, and there aren't many sources for luxury yarns here in our little home town.

That was three skeins.

Finally, I'd ordered a bunch of DVDs for Dad online (ones that are out of production - a really good find, although kind of pricey). So I told Little Bro that he could contribute funds to the Dad DVD selection, and that would take care of his gift to Dad. (Little Bro was so busy with school that he hardly had time to go shopping in the HUGE city that he now lives in, which was a bit of a pity.)

I then told L.B. to take that money that he was going to pay me for the DVDs, and put it to another skein of STR for me - since that's what I was going to spend it on anyway, he just happened to save me the shipping costs.

That's four skeins - four gifts with one-stop shopping. One for Mom, three for me (well, four in my stash if you count the Sealrock)

Ain't I a stinker? :-)

He picked out colors that he thought we'd like, all lightweight, and brought them home. I'd specifically requested a super-pinkety-pink, hence the Apple Valley Rd. The other two, Highway 30 and Rocktober, have orange in them, which both L.B. and I love, so he wanted me to have those. He chose the Rolling Stone for Mom, since she loves navy and wine and green, but we pooled them all together after Christmas morning and told Mom she could pick whichever she wanted, including the Sealrock mediumweight that I had from before.

She still chose the Rolling Stone ;-)


(All images copyright E. Boudreau)

No comments: