Thursday, February 15, 2007

The sun always comes out eventually

So, the storms seem to have passed, both here and where Hubby and Dad are driving. The sun is shining all along the East Coast, although the wind is brisk and cold. They're a full 18 hours ahead of schedule, that being based on when he has to pick up the keys to the new apartment before their office closes.

They're safe, warm, fed, and happy. And, they're even planning on crashing at a motel again tonight, to rest up for the unloading that lies ahead. I don't have to worry too much about them, at least for another 15 hours. I'm leapfrogging through these last days here - a bit of calm and quiet in between updates from them wherever they happen to be.

Here, well, it's a mess ;-)

I managed to steam clean the bedroom carpet, but I have to wait until it's dry before moving some furniture in; the new tenant is buying our bookshelves and dresser, so there's quite a bit of stuff staying.

The rest of the apartment has so much junk strewn through that it makes me want to crawl under my air mattress and forget about it. I can't, though; Mom's coming up to move me and my papers back home to finish up, and if she sees the apartment in this state, she'll have kittens.

So, what is my plan to take care of all this mess?

I'm going to the movies.

One of my closest friends, who bought me the Fleece Artist, is staying behind, and we've been living in the same city for 25 of our 28 years. She's happy here, and I'm guessing will likely be enfianced shortly, but we both don't like to talk about the fact that I'm leaving.

The good thing is, both she and the almost-fiancé love to travel, and will be planning a trip to visit us in the new apartment in the new country by the end of the year.

I'll be home after the early show, and ready to throw junk away, and pack the remaining bits that'll have to be shipped down to Hubby. It's really not too bad, it just looks worse than it is.

And, because I have no pictures of the apartment to show, and none emailed of the new one yet, I give you. . . Christmas Cheesecake.

White chocolate and peppermint cheesecake, decorated with crushed candy canes and white chocolate truffles.

It was, in fact, divine. The bonus was, we had so much company that I only ate one piece. Otherwise I probably would've picked at it until a quarter of it was gone, and my jeans wouldn't have survived the strain.

I also made cupcakes - here are the mini ones, with either snowflakes or holly:

Yarn. I forgot about yarn. This is what my mother's Christmas socks looked like before I got started (hopefully she'll get them before the summer, but I'm not sure if that's realistic):


And just because it's sunny out there, here's one of the tulips that Hubby gave me for an early Valentine's Day present:

I'll leave you with my cat, Booger, who is making his first appearance on this blog (although he's been seen on my other one before). He knows how to let the worries of the world melt away.



(All images copyright E. Boudreau)

No comments: