Friday, September 8, 2006

The blankie is on the way to its new home!

Details:
LION BRAND® JIFFY®
Child's Knitted Blanket (pattern is free with registration)
7 skeins Lion Brand® Jiffy® in "Salem" (I used 6.5 skeins and quit for fear of running out, and I just hate to frog)
US11 (8mm) aluminum needles
Started: April 15th, 2006
Completed: September 2nd, 2006
Finished size (approx) 36" x 42" unblocked
Misc: Basic long-tailed cast-on; crochet cast-off

Here are a couple of pics:


Blankie on the floor, with a 12" papercutter for scale.


Close-up of the seedstitch border and the hourglass pattern.


My mother knit a lot when we were younger, but never really gave anything away to people outside the family (she still has all of the sweaters and socks and hats she knit for us tucked away in giant ziploc bags). She's been knitting/sewing/embroidering/needleworking since she was a child and kept it up through her adulthood, and is so proud that I'm following in her footsteps with real, useful, beautiful projects.

She knows this is my first large, major project, and asked me last night how I could bear to part with it. She's totally in love with the colorway, and how soft it is (I'm pretty sure it awoke the granny-lust in her, and she wants me to a) keep it and b) have a kid to wrap it in).

I was surprised that it was actually really easy to part with, in a way. I've worked on this project on and off for about 4 months, and it was never boring. I loved the yarn (even though it's *gasp* acrylic, it's really soft, and totally washable) and I loved the pattern so much that I can easily see myself making it again (I'm coveting something in soft yellow yarn right know).

I just know in my heart it was meant for my Goddaughter.

:-) Happy Friday!


(All images copyright E. Boudreau)

No comments: